Three years, Motherhood & a Comeback: My ma’s Chicken Paturi-Chicken steamed in Banana leaf
2. In a mixer make a paste of Kashmiri chili, coconut, poppy seed, green chili, onion
3. Mix the paste with marinated chicken
4. Now add salt and oil
5. Keep aside for 30mins
6. Take the banana leaf and wash it thoroughly
7. Now put the washed banana leaf over fire for few seconds at a time. You need to do this process to the full leaf on each side. This is to make the leaf soft and easily foldable.
8. Once the banana leaf is soft, arrange the marinated chicken on it and fold to cover the full chicken (you should be able to close both sides)
9. Now my mother can fold in a way and then tie using thread made with banana leaf that not a single drop comes out of the packet. But I am not good with folding. I fold the chicken in the banana leaf tightly and then fold it in an aluminium foil. This way I still get that burned banana leaf smell from my paturi.
11. Let it cook in low heat for 30mins, by then some water will come out. Let it dry and then turn to other side
12. Continue to keep on low fire for another 30mins and then turn off the fire
13. Serve the paturi with oiled white rice or eat it on its own as starter.