My Dal Makhni
150g whole urad dal (black lentils)
50g rajma (red kidney beans)
1- large onion, thinly sliced
1- inch ginger, julienne
5- garlic cloves
1- green chilies
½-teaspoon chili powder
1/2- teaspoon cumin
8/10 fenugreek seed
100g tomato paste or puree
Garam Masala according to your taste
Salt to taste
1. Wash the whole urad dal, rajma properly.
2. Soak in water over night or for 6 to 8 hours
3. Chop the onion, garlic, ginger and green chilies.
4. Boil the urad dal and Rajma with onion, ginger, garlic, green chilies and salt until urad dal and Rajma is cooked. Use the water that has been used to soak the dal while boiling . I have used a pressure cooker to boil them.
5. Heat the oil. Add the cumin seed and fenugreek seed. Stir until they crackle
6. Add tomato puree or paste and stir for a minute
7. Add to the cooked dal and combine well
8. Add chili powder and cook for 10/15mins
9. Add cream ( single or double or low fat depending on your choice) and cook for 10/15 mis
10. Add Garam masala and cook for 5 mins
11. Serve with naan, tandori roti or rice